This is our answer to a mid-day coffee run. Light, fluffy and super healthy the Mille Mocha Coffee Cake might just be our favourite recipe yet - and they are SO simple to make!
(This recipe is for an 8-inch, double layer cake)
For The Cake You will need:
- 1 box of the Mille Mocha Coffee Cake comes with raw unrefined sugar
- 180ml hot water
- 60ml melted butter or oil
- 2 Eggs or 120ml thick/vegan yoghurt
- 175g unsalted butter, room temperature
- Pinch of salt
- 300g raw unrefined sugar
- 45ml of boiling water mixed with 1 tablespoon of instant coffee powder, cooled
For the topping:
- Toasted Walnuts
For the Cake
- Preheat the oven to 180 ° C (350 ° F). Grease a 7 x7 inch square pan or line it with baking paper.
- In a bowl, add the wet ingredients (water, butter/oil, yoghurt/egg) and whisk. Add the dry ingredients (cake mix and raw unrefined sugar as per your choice) and mix till the batter is smooth.
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Insert a fork or toothpick into the cake once it’s cooked. If it comes out clean, the cake is done. Allow it to cool before removing it from the pan
For the Espresso Buttercream:
- Sieve the raw unrefined sugar into a bowl and add the salt and butter.
- Beat together with an electric whisk
- Gradually add the water and coffee mixture until the perfect flavour and consistency is reached. You may not need to add all the liquid. Place into a piping bag with a 1cm wide nozzle.
For the Assembly:
- Once the cake is cooled, cut through the centre to make two parts
- Pipe and spread the espresso buttercream and sprinkle some toasted walnuts.
- Add the second layer on top and repeat.
- Cake is ready to serve.